The National Coach, Sergio Scariolohas released this Thursday a list of 22 players summoned for the preparation of the eurobasket 2022. Five World Champions in 2019 (Rudy Fernández, Sergio Llull, Willy Hernangómez, Juancho Hernangómez and Quino Colom) lead a list that includes three debutants with the Absolute National Team: Lorenzo Brown and the new European champions with the U20 Juan Núñez and Hector Alderete.
The 22 players summoned are:
- Alberto Abalde (Real Madrid), 18 caps
- Hector Alderete (Movistar Students)
- Jonathan Barreiro (Unicaja Basketball), 9 caps
- Dario Brizuela (Unicaja Basketball), 21 caps
- lorenzo brown (Unics Kazan)
- Quino Colom (AEK), 36 caps
- Alberto Diaz (Unicaja Basketball), 12 caps
- Jaime Fernandez (Unicaja Basketball), 23 caps
- Rudy Fernandez (Real Madrid), 233 caps
- Usman Garuba (Houston Rockets), 9 caps
- Frank War (Lenovo Tenerife), 7 caps
- Juancho Hernangomez (Utah Jazz), 37 caps
- Willy Hernangomez (New Orleans Pelicans), 70 caps
- Sergio Lull (Real Madrid), 152 caps
- Xabi Lopez-Arostegui (Valencia Basket), 22 caps
- John Nunez (Real Madrid)
- Joel Parra (Joventut), 8 caps
- Jaime Pradilla (Valencia Basket), 6 caps
- Sebas Saiz (Alvark Tokyo), 26 caps
- Michael Saved (Gran Canaria), 3 caps
- Yankuba Sima (Baxi Manresa), 6 caps
- Santi Yusta (Casademont Zaragoza), 7 caps
Alberto Abalde and Usman Garuba are part of the squad, but their incorporation to work together with the rest of the group will depend on the evolution of their respective injuries.
For his part, together with José Ignacio Hernández (FEB Sporting Director) and Carlos Jiménez (Team Manager), Coach Sergio Scariolo will lead the following coaching staff:
- Luis Gil (coach)
- Victor Garcia (coach)
- Jorge Lorenzo (coach)
- Angel Sanchez Cañete (coach)
- Manolo Aller (coach)
- Save Camps (coach)
- Lorena Torres (biomedical)
- Enrique Salinas (physical trainer)
- Javier Hernández Bello (physical trainer)
- Carlos Salas (doctor)
- David Urbano (physiotherapist)
- Jordan Sospedra (physical therapist)
- Jose Antonio Fernandez (physiotherapist)
- Javier Salvo (administrative delegate)
- David Ortega (logistics delegate)
Players and coaching staff will meet in Madrid next Monday, August 1 to start the pre-Eurobasket concentration. The National Team will play the group stage in Tbilisi (Georgia) starting on September 1 against Bulgaria, Georgia, Belgium, Montenegro and Turkey. The final phase will be played in Berlin.
Before the start of the Eurobasket, #LaFamilia will play a total of four Tour matches against Greece in Athens (August 9) and Madrid (August 11) and against Lithuania in Gran Canaria (August 16) and Vilnius (August 18) . Subsequently, Spain will play the first two matches of the second qualifying phase for the 2023 World Cup against Iceland in Pamplona (August 24) and in the Netherlands (August 27).
Sergio Scariolo: “It is a great challenge, but the values ??of the National Team do not change”
“We know the difficulty of the moment. The generational change in which we find ourselves is a great challenge. We are very clear that the values ??of the National Team do not vary, but the level of talent does. Generosity, cohesion, camaraderie, sharing the ball on the court, helping each other defensively and producing an effort that the fans are proud of are elements that have made us famous and admired around the world Values ??that we so carefully nurture the young players we come up from the academy teams and that they are very well prepared by the clubs.
We want them to maintain competitiveness on the field, but also the values ??that characterize us and that we want them to continue to do so”.