Published on March 17th, 2014 | by admin0
FIBA Women’s World Championship Draws Spain in Group A
The draw for the 2014 FIBA World Championship for Women was decided on Saturday afternoon in Istanbul, Turkey.
Here are the four groups which consist of four teams each.
- Group A (Ankara): 1. Brazil; 2. Japan; 3. Spain; 4. Czech Republic.
- Group B (Ankara): 1. Mozambique; 2. Turkey; 3. France; 4. Canada
- Group C (Istanbul): 1. Korea; 2. Cuba; 3. Australia; 4. Belarus.
- Group D (Istanbul): 1. Serbia; 2. China; 3. USA; 4. Angola.
The Group Phase will take place from September 27th-30th, and the Final Phase from October 1-5.
View full World Championship Schedule Turkey
- September 27th: Japan vs Spain
- September 28th: Spain vs Brazil
- September 30th: Czech Republic vs Spain
The sixteen (16) participating teams will be divided into four (4) groups (A, B, C, D) of four (4) teams each. Each team will play all the other teams in its own group (total of 3 games for each team).
The final standing of each group will be established after the Preliminary Round as follows:
- Group A: A1, A2, A3, A4
- Group B: B1, B2, B3, B4
- Group C: C1, C2, C3, C4
- Group D: D1, D2, D3, D4
A total of 24 games will be played in the Preliminary Round.
The teams placed 1st in each group will qualify directly for the Quarter-Finals.
The teams placed 2nd and 3rd in each group will qualify for the Elimination Round
The eight (8) teams placed 2nd and 3rd in each group of the Preliminary Round will play direct elimination games as follows:
- Game 25: 2nd A v 3rd B
- Game 26: 2nd B v 3rd A
- Game 27: 2nd C v 3rd D
- Game 28: 2nd D v 3rd C
The winners qualify for the Quarter-Finals, the losers will return home.
The eight (8) teams qualified either directly from the Preliminary Round or from the Elimination Round will play as follows:
- Game 29: 1st A v Winner 27 (1-8)
- Game 30: 1st B v Winner 28 (1-8)
- Game 31: 1st C v Winner 25 (1-8)
- Game 32: 1st D v Winner 26 (1-8)
The four (4) winners will play in the Semi-Finals. The four (4) losers will play for 5th-8th place.
- Game 33: Loser 29 v Loser 30 (5-8)
- Game 34: Loser 31 v Loser 32 (5-8)
- Game 35: Winner 29 v Winner 30 (1-4)
- Game 36: Winner 31 v Winner 32 (1-4)
- Game 37: Loser 33 v Loser 34 (7-8)
- Game 38: Winner 33 v Winner 34 (5-6)
- Game 39: Loser 35 v Loser 36 (3-4)
- Game 40: Winner 35 v Winner 36 (1-2)