Spain and France dispute this Wednesday (2:00 p.m., Teledeporte and Eurosport) their showdown number 67. An intimate rivalry that, for the first time, moves to the Olympics. The winner will get a ticket to the semifinal on Friday and, at the same time, will tie the balance between the two powers of world women’s basketball in their favor: 33 wins for each team.
Since the Women defeated France in Belgrade on July 7, 2019 to proclaim themselves European champion for the fourth time (always defeating the neighboring country in the title match), they have only been able to prevail in one of the six friendlies played since then . A bad streak that is anecdotal when changing the scale to friendly matches. Three wins in the last four meetings. All of them in the EuroBasket final: 2013, 2017 and 2019. All of them with Lucas Mondelo on the bench.
France achieved their last two official triumphs against the National Team in the 2015 European semi-final and in the second in 2011, but the memories are very positive in the only precedent in a quarterfinal crossing. It was at the 2010 World Cup in Turkey, where Spain defeated in extra time (74-71) the bleus on the way to what would be the first World Cup medal in the history of Spanish women’s basketball. Jose Ignacio Hernandez, current Sports Director of the FEB, held the position of Coach at that time.
All Spain vs France Officials
- 1. Pre-European 1970: Spain vs France (45-69)
- 2. EuroBasket 1980: Spain vs France (75-55)
- 3. Pre-European 1988: Spain vs France (50-55)
- Four. EuroBasket 1993 (final): Spain vs France (63-53)
- 5. EuroBasket 2001 (first phase): France vs Spain (70-64)
- 6. 2002 World Cup (5th to 8th place): Spain vs France (69-59)
- 7. EuroBasket 2007 (second phase): Spain vs France (63-53)
- 8. 2010 World Cup (quarterfinals): Spain vs France (74-71)
- 9. EuroBasket 2011 (second phase): Spain vs France (55-79)
- 10. EuroBasket 2013 (final): France vs Spain (69-70)
- 11. EuroBasket 2015 (semi-final): Spain vs France (58-63)
- 12. EuroBasket 2017 (final): Spain vs France (71-55)
- 13. EuroBasket 2019 (final): Spain vs France (86-66)
* In bold, victory of the Women’s National Team