The match that will end the second day of Group A of the Olympic Games is a true duel between two world basketball powers. Not surprisingly, Spain and Serbia are measured: the countries that share the last five titles of the Women’s EuroBasket.
This Thursday (10:20 am, Teledeporte and Eurosport), will be the second duel of the summer between the National Team and the Balkans. A match with the flavor of revenge. In the quarterfinals of the Women’s EuroBasket in Valencia 2021, Serbia beat the national team to end a streak of eleven consecutive defeats against Spain. A series dating back to June 8, 2003, when Montenegro was still competing under the same flag as Serbia. Or what is the same, since the split in Montenegro (2006), Serbia has only been able to overtake Spain last June.
La Femenina will try to resume its good dynamics against the Balkan team in a face-to-face match that has already become a classic in world basketball over the last decade. Since the 2013 European Championship in France, the two countries have met in three semi-finals and a quarterfinal crossing. Spain dominates in the penultimate round with an immaculate 3-0.
Among these triumphs, the one achieved in Rio five years ago stands out. A match that allowed national basketball to secure its first Olympic medal in the women’s category. Curiously, Spanish and Serbian women also measured forces in the opening match in Rio 206. This Thursday will be their third meeting in a Games. Data that draws more attention when verifying that when Serbia was still competing as part of the defunct Yugoslavia, both teams had never met in the Olympic tournament, including the qualifying Pre-Olympics.
The one of the second day of the group stage in Tokyo 2020 will be the ninth match between Spain and Serbia. So far, the National Team dominates by a clear 7-1: 6-1 in official matches and 1-0 in the only friendly played to date.
All Spain vs Serbia
- 1. EuroBasket 2007 (first phase): Spain vs Serbia (79-76)
- 2. EuroBasket 2013 (semi-final): Spain vs Serbia (88-69)
- 3. Friendly 2014: Spain vs Serbia (79-66)
- 4. EuroBasket 2015 (second phase): Spain vs Serbia (91-80)
- 5. Olympic Games 2016 (first phase): Spain vs Serbia (65-59)
- 6. Olympic Games 2016 (semifinal): Spain vs Serbia (68-54)
- 7. EuroBasket 2019 (semi-final): Serbia vs Spain (66-71)
- 8. EuroBasket 2021 (quarter-finals): Spain vs Serbia (64-71)
* In bold, victories of the Women’s National Team